Has Congress given George Bush a green light to attack Iran? For he is surely behaving as though it is his call alone. And evidence is mounting that we are on a collision course for war.
- Iran has detained several Iranian-Americans, seemingly in retaliation for our continuing to hold five Iranians in Iraq.
- The U.N. nuclear watchdog agency, the International Atomic Energy Agency, says Iran is making progress in the enrichment of uranium and denying it access to Iran’s nuclear sites.
- Bush is calling on Russia and China to toughen sanctions.
- A flotilla of U.S. warships, including the carriers Stennis and Nimitz, has passed through the Strait of Hormuz into the Persian Gulf.
- U.S. Maj. Gen. William Caldwell has told CNN there is “very credible intelligence” Iran is funding Sunni extremists engaged in the roadside bombing of U.S. troops.
- CBS reports the United States has engaged in the industrial sabotage of Iran’s nuclear program by making the equipment Iran acquires on the black market unusable or destructive.
- ABC reports that Bush has authorized the CIA to mount a “black” operation to destabilize Iran, using “non-lethal” means. The absence of White House outrage over the leak suggests it may have wanted the information out.
- ABC.com reports U.S. officials are supporting a militant group, Jundallah, in the “tri-border region” of Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Jundallah, a Sunni Islamist group seeking independence for Baluchistan, claims to have killed hundreds of Iranians. Read on…